Official AP Preview
http://sports.aol.com/nfl/story/_a/saints-host-panthers-with-eye-on/20061227202309990001?ecid=RSS0001
Going into the last week of the season, most believe the Saints really should be resting their starters and getting younger guys like Jamaal Branch and Josh Cooper a chance to show what they can do against a talented, if injury riddled and underachieving, Carolina team.
I do not subscribe to this viewpoint. First, this is still a division game, and Carolina, as horrid as they've been, still has a decent shot at the playoffs. Believe it or not, of all the 7-8 teams in the NFC, I still think Carolina is the most dangerous. They're getting Delhomme back, they still have two good recievers in Smith and Johnson and if they commit to the run, they're as a dangerous 2nd tier offense. They are also our only division lost this season. I would like to go into the playoffs on a high note by formally eliminating our divisional rivals and taking out the most dangerous team on the cusp of the playoffs.
Some of our starters also have some things to work on. After a tremendous run, our wide recievers have dropped quite a bit of passes, and this isn't just the much-maligned Devery Henderson, but Colston and Copper as well. And while Reggie's performance against the Giants was fantastic, I'd like to see how our O-line's runblocking stacks up against a very good Carolina D-Line that held us to under 50 yards rushing the last time the two teams met. Finally, I'd like to see players like Charles Grant, Josh Bullocks and Mark Simoneau to have a good game. While all three guys have been solid, none of them have been great. I believe to beat AFC teams, we're going to need a big playoff performance from two of those three guys.
That said, I think a couple of players should get some rest. Guys like Deuce and Will Smith should probably rest to get some respite from nagging injuries. Older guys like Mike McKenzie and Jay Bellamy should probably also get some rest to ensure that they have some juice left for the playoffs. Either way, the Saints should win this game. As long as they hit the Panthers and get them down early, I think the already fragile Panthers will fold.
Saturday, December 30, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment